Sunday, August 26, 2012

Teen Book Club


I am thinking of trying a Teen Book Club for the fall. I have tried a couple times in the past to hold teen book discussions. Sadly, they are low attendance. With the exception of Twilight. I held the discussion as part of the movie screening, and related snacks. I had over 30 girls (and 1 boy) whom I had never seen in the library before! I also tried the Hunger Games, but it was a year before it's popularity swept the nation so I had 2 teens. I had arranged it with their English teacher the students would get extra credit for attending.

My new approach is to see if the High School librarian wants to work with me on doing a teen book club up at the high school. We pick the books and co-facilitate the discussion that is held right after school in the high school library. It is my hope that the relationship I build with participating students will entice them to the library during the school year. As is stands now we see kids and teens in the summer but rarely during the school year. Has anyone done this with their local school librarian? I am interested to hear some stories on how it went!

No comments:

Post a Comment